Sunday, February 7, 2010

Day 38 Or... No Meat on Super Bowl Sunday

I've read varying estimates, but the general consensus is that Americans spend tens of millions of dollars on food during Super Bowl Sunday.

What you may not think about is that with the exception of wings and a few pizza toppings, most of that food is vegetarian. Weird huh?

For me, obviously, all of it was vegetarian. The Go Veg Project continues with great success...


- What did I eat on Day 38?

Breakfast. Mmmm... donut.

Lunch. After church today, we had our usual monthly fellowship meal. This month's theme was Italian so I figured it was pretty safe for my diet. [If you're a regular reader, you know that I've consumed a ridiculous amount of pasta during this experiment.] Then again, at the same time, I was a little paranoid.

I thought, "What if there aren't any vegetarian dishes? Or what if there are a couple but they're all gone by the time we get to the plates? I don't think I can eat just plain noodles without sauce."

Carolyn scanned all the different entrees for me and came across both cheese ravioli and cheese tortellini. She was assured that there was no meat involved in either dish, not even in the sauces. There was also a giant pot of steamed carrots, cauliflower and zucchini. And much to my delight, there was plenty life by the time I filled my plate. Delicious.

Dinner. Tonight, we had a little Super Bowl get together with our friends, the Kells. They made wonderful vegetarian-friendly personal pizzas from scratch for everyone. I even got to try vegetarian bacon and vegetarian pepperoni, both of which were pretty good. It was also good fun to hear their kids say things like "Why do they all pile up on each other?" and "Why did he fall down?" while watching the football game.

For our dessert I made new recipe #18: Bananas Foster Upside Down Cake. If you've ever had bananas foster, imagine it served over a tasty coffee cake and that's pretty close to the end result. I'll post the recipe if a reader asks nicely.

For now, I've got lots of grading to do before the morning comes.

38 days down. Only 2 days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment