Saturday, February 6, 2010

Day 37 Or... Keep On Cookin'

Perseverance.
It's not easy to persevere sometimes, particularly when it comes to preparing a new recipe. Luckily, I had been meaning to make a specific vegetarian dinner for days so it was easy to keep on cooking, despite some setbacks.

Tonight, from the "Moosewood Restaurant Low-fat Favorites" cookbook, I made new recipe #16: Potato Cakes (baked, not fried) which was topped with new recipe #17: Mango Peach Chutney. Again, I can post the recipes if you'd like... but you'll have to ask.

It seemed like one thing went wrong after another.

I realized I forgot to buy the dill and parsley for the baked potato cakes, so I had to substitute other spices.

I added the sliced peaches to the saucepan (for the chutney) before I realized they should have been coarsely chopped.

When boiling the potatoes (before breading and baking them) I apparently didn't add enough water, which practically ruined the bottom of the pot I was using. I've boiled potatoes, pasta, etc., countless times and I've never done such a thing before. If you want to buy me a new large saucepan, let me know.

And despite following the recipe as closely as possible, the potato cakes weren't browned when they should have been. Was it the breading, the oil, or my choice to make 10 potato cake "patties" when the recipe claimed it made 14?

Yet somehow, eventually, we got to sit down and eat dinner. Sadly, it didn't live up to the hype that I had created for it in my head.

It wasn't bad but I'm not sure I'll make it again, at least not the chutney. The mix of peaches, mango, onions, brown sugar, vinegar, apple juice, and various spices just was a little too much of an odd-tasting concoction to me, especially with potatoes.

But, I did get to use a new spice, cardamom, for the first time!


- What did I eat on Day 37?

Breakfast. Cold pizza.

Lunch. Reheated pizza.

Dinner.
As I've already said, potato cakes topped with mango peach chutney.

37 days down. 3 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment