Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Day 33 Or... One Week Remains

I'm still amazed that after today is through, I'll only have a week left.

In other news, season six of "Lost" begins tonight at 8:00 and goes until 11:00, so I'm posting early and being brief yet again. What can I say? It's the best show on television.

Anyway...

- What did I eat on Day 33?

Breakfast. Does a piece of a co-worker's birthday cake count as breakfast? Because that's all I had prior to lunch today.

Lunch. My wife makes the best mac & cheese in the entire world from scratch and she was nice enough to make me a whole bowl of it for lunch. I would put it up against anybody's mac & cheese. It's that good.

Dinner. I had new recipe #14: Whole wheat penne with green-pepper-packed special sauce. I confess that this is a recipe that I made up on the fly, but it's definitely worth sharing.

To replicate tonight's colorful, green-pepper-packed sauce to add to penne, you'll need a standard size jar of vegetarian-friendly alfredo sauce and about 1/2 a cup of marinara sauce. [I just used what was left of the Sockarooni sauce.]

You'll also need at least a cup of chopped green peppers and some olive oil. For added seasoning, you'll want to have salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and basil handy.

First, saute the chopped green peppers for 3-4 minutes, you can also add 1/8 of a teaspoon of the garlic powder and 1/8 of a teaspoon of the onion powder to this step. This will smell very nice. Then, stir in both the alfredo sauce and the marinara sauce. You'll notice really quickly why I'm calling this a pepper-packed sauce. Then, add about two tablespoons of olive oil, 1/2 a teaspoon of basil, and also add salt and pepper to taste. If you think it needs more garlic powder, feel free to add a little more to taste as well.

Continue to heat the sauce, stirring occasionally... then serve over the pasta.

According to my rules, I'm still obligated to try at least six new recipes during the seven days that remain. Sheesh! Thankfully, I have entire vegetarian cookbooks to thumb through as I plan my next seven dinners.

33 days down. 7 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment